1 EAGLETON NOTES: Black-Throated Diver

.

.

Friday 13 July 2012

Black-Throated Diver

I'm not quite sure why I have never blogged about sightings of the Black-Throated Diver before.  We certainly saw plenty last year on The Braighe on Lewis.  I've just looked at my photos though and the best ones were of Great Northern Divers and I posted photos about them.  This week I managed rather better photos of the Black-Throated Divers on the Braighe.  The problem with them is that as soon as you pop your head over the sea wall they start paddling in the opposite direction.



9 comments:

  1. I try hard, but I do envy your access to water in both places you live. I usually learn about a different bird on your blog. Keep sharing, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be a very sad person if I was divorced from water, Norma.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, they're beautiful! BTW, how do you pronounce Braighe???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not great on the phonetic alphabet but it's pronounced something like br igh (as in light)= brigh . CJ's suggestion is Br-I [capital i]

      Delete
  3. Wish we had such well-behaved birds here. I have been invited to take up bird watching, and I think I just might. Found a dead pigeon in my garage the other day..guess it flew into the door by mistake...I didn't even have the heart to move it on my own...my girlfriend did the honors. Not sure if he was the same culprit that would wait until I was passing by the corner of the garage roof and then nail me in SH......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They disappear as soon as you look at them - that's the problem Virginia. Pigeons are my bugbear, the bane of my life. They crap all over my roof apart from anything else!

      Delete
  4. Will pass on to Keith. What delightful patterning, and distinctive bill shape. Nice captures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katherine. I'm sure that Keith will love the bird life up here.

      Delete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.