1 EAGLETON NOTES: Storms and Things

.

.

Monday 23 May 2011

Storms and Things

It's been pretty stormy here today but, until I saw the pictures on The News I had no idea how bad it had been.  I recorded winds of about 50mph here at the house but 100mph has been recorded in central Scotland.  At the time of the 6 o'clock News 42000 households were reported as being without electricity and I think they said only 5 train services were running in Scotland.  A friend was stranded in Glasgow.  Fortunately he has a son there.  By about 7.15 the whole of the Western Isles was powerless too.  Fortunately it lasted less than a couple of hours with us.

The sea in the bay below the house gives an idea of what things were like at about 1400 this afternoon.







And then at just before 1600 the sea suddenly calmed down as the wind swung round off shore:


This is pretty rough weather for this time of year.  Impossible to believe that I was in shorts in the garden when I first came home around three weeks ago and the pier looked like this:


7 comments:

  1. Impressive.........nothing like a proper storm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a real sea running. For some reason I hear these words - "Lions of the Sea, They ride the wind eternally." don't ask me where they come from but that's what I hear when I look at these shots. Must be a long forgotten poem? or something? Good to see the second last shot and know that all is "normal" again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That view from your house does keep changing ;) We're having very strong gusts of wind here too now... I see it in the treetops and from time to time it rattles the balconies making noise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too right Adrian - especially when you are caught out at sea in one as you, better than most who will read this, will know.

    Yes, Monica, the view changes by the minute, by the hour,by the day and by the season.

    I didn't take you for a heavy metal fan, Pauline, The quote is from a song by Running Wild on the album Masquerade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fortunately, I have excellent neighbours, who looked after Molly the Collie and I got to see my grandson. It's an ill wind.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. ALWAYS respect the sea! ALways. Gorgeous shots!
    Growing up around the ocean, I learned to never turn my back on it (knocked down, pulled under), but I do love it so!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for unearthing where that memory came from, Graham. Can put that one down to Bernie. And, strangely, now that I've listened to it again, it's not as bad as I thought it was at the time.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.