1 EAGLETON NOTES: The Return

.

.

Tuesday 25 June 2013

The Return

It's seven days and 30 minutes since the Isle of Lewis ferry sailed out of Stornoway with Anna and I aboard for the journey to Bishopbriggs.  In less than an hour I shall be retracing my steps. To me it seems like I have been away from home for an age and done so much and yet, at the same time, it seems like no time at all since I arrived here.  Time plays very odd tricks.

At that point various things happened and I'm now back home after one of the most traffic-free journeys I have ever made from Glasgow to Ullapool in the summer up the A9.  Add to that a flat calm, if rather dull and unphotogenic, crossing of the Minch on MV Isle of Lewis and it was a nigh on perfect journey.

MV Isle of Lewis arriving at Ullapool 
Stern open waiting to disgorge the vehicles
Leaving Ullapool
Looking towards the head of a very dull and dour Loch Broom
I'm hoping that I will now have a couple of weeks to catch up fully with Blogland and all the things I have to do around the house and garden.  

12 comments:

  1. sometimes uneventful is good, especially when traveling!
    welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that you're back home safely.
    At least now, when future trips are a pain in the butt, you can recall this easy peasy trip with fondness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Virginia. It would be nice to believe that future journeys would be as good but evidence from 40 years of doing that journey suggest otherwise so I may well need that fondness memory!

      Delete
  3. Time does indeed play some very odd tricks. Glad your trip was good, but even more glad you are back (selfish, I know).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Meike. When I started reading your blog last night I could not believe that I had missed so many posts. I shall return and start commenting - yesterday I just re-read previous posts you had mentioned. I was astonished how much I remembered of them.

      Delete
  4. I hope you'll get a few days of "flat calm" at home as well. (In the sense of peaceful and being able to take things at slow pace if you want to.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well so far today, Monica, I've had a very satisfyingly busy day and I'm now going to have some dinner.

      Delete
  5. They are having a new ferry next summer. The Isle of Lewis is being retired. They will then run a 24/7 service.
    Just as well you got a picture for posterity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading your post made me remember how in some places life revolves around the ferry in a quiet sort of way. Whereas I don't see a ferry from one year's end to the next.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.