1 EAGLETON NOTES: What Price Guarantee?

.

.

Sunday 14 April 2013

What Price Guarantee?

I was looking for a book.  As usual with a popular book in publication I went to Amazon UK first.  When I looked at the used copies I came across the following:  

£0.01
+ £2.80UK delivery
Used - Very Good
NO SIGNIFICANT FAULTS. CLEARLY PRE-OWNED BUT ONLY MINOR DEFECTS DAILY POSTING FROM UK. 30 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE



My immediate reaction was to wonder why anyone would offer a 30 day money back guarantee on a book which could be read and returned with ease in that time.  Until it dawned on me that the guarantee  will only refer to the price of the book and not to the postage.  In fact in returning it one would have to pay significantly more.  It looks good though!

6 comments:

  1. So are you getting it?
    Not a bad price, and it's in "Used-Very Good" condition, you can't go wrong. Check the reviews of the seller and then go for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Virginia six days later I can't even recall what it was although I thought that I'd already answered the question. How bizarre.

      Delete
  2. What I'm wondering is, what's in it for the seller, at that price??
    Myself I'm a bit puzzled after having received an email from Amazon on Friday informing me that my parcel is available for collection in Copenhagen. I think I'll wait a bit though and see if they can't manage to pass it on a bit closer to home than that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the answer is 'not much' Monica. As CJ says the difference between the postage charged and received. On a small paperback you might make a bit but that's all.

      Delete
  3. Like Monica, I just don't understand it. And yet there are lots of books at that price. Presumably they are making money on the P & p and yet when I tried selling books the cost of postage was horrendous. How do they get such cheap delivery services? I could understand it if they had large volume sales like Amazon but these are private sellers and small shops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea CJ it's always puzzled me too.

      Delete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.