1 EAGLETON NOTES: Thankful Thursday

.

.

Thursday 26 May 2011

Thankful Thursday

It's becoming harder each week to think of something new about which to be thankful.  It's not that I don't have a HUGE amount of things about which I am thankful but trying a) to think of them to order and b) to make it interesting is not so easy.   Actually it reminds me of what Richard Burton said on his wedding night when he married Liz Taylor for the second time.  He knew what was expected of him but he had no idea how to make it interesting. Ho hum.

Anyway I think I'll go for a biggie (or is it biggy? - spillchucker says biggie ) today.  OK so, yes, I am thankful for being alive and, no, I don't take that for granted.  Today I am thankful for warmth.  Now that might sound silly.  But let's think about it for a minute.  I was at a friends' recently and his ladyfriend was there so the house was cosy.  However left to his own devices his house is cooler than I enjoy.  That's because he doesn't like the heat and I do.  Conversely my house is too warm for him.

Ok I'm rambling.

The point is that when I came back to Scotland nearly a month ago I wore shorts in the garden when I was working.  Today when I went to town I wore jeans, a thick padded gilet (vest) and a Berghaus jacket with a separate down lining.  The weather is horrible.  So I've migrated from my Study with it's beautiful views and lots of light and all my computer gadgetry into my living room with it's ancient roll-top desk and books.  And I've been warm and cosy.


Actually looking at that chap in the chair I'm not sure I recognise him.  Last time I saw him from this angle he had hair!  His sleeves in New Zealand must be a bit longer as well judging by the white patch above the tan!

Anyway the point about this post is that, unlike millions, nay billions. in this world I have the wherewithall to ensure that I am warm when the outside temperature is cold.  For that I am truly thankful.

PS I'm also thankful for the small things this evening.  I dropped my camera with the lens extended.  It appears to have survived.  Oh yes.  Very thankful!

5 comments:

  1. Look at all of those books!! So interesting, I'd love to wander my eyes through them. And...I like that roll top!!

    Wouldn't have noticed your white arm if you hadn't said anything of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Love a cozy room that's full of books. I like also all the cubby holes above the surface to store items.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, to peruse those books! Perhaps you could give us a glimpse into what's on your shelves?
    Just because you can't come up with an ultimately NEW reason to be thankful, doesn't mean that you are not continually thankful for life itself. So, so much to be thankful for every single day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One advantage of a laptop, not being bound to one special room/place to use it! I like your bookcases. They remind me of my own in that they're absolutely packed and no space wasted ;)

    I think you're doing a great job with the thankful posts. I've started a few times myself (not necessarily on a Thursday) but I tend to get stuck; not for lack of things to be thankful for but other reasons you mention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One more vote for a close-up of the book shelves!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.