1 EAGLETON NOTES: Thankful Thursday

.

.

Thursday 12 May 2011

Thankful Thursday

This week I've had Viv, a friend from France, staying.  Viv has not been to the Outer Hebrides before so, of course, we've been doing touristy things; that is going to all the touristy places.  However, in addition to having a biologist's interest in flora and fauna, Viv is also an artist.  So to some extent I've been seeing some of the things that I take for granted in a new light.  I've also been wandering off the beaten track and have discovered a few roads and places I didn't know existed and have re-discovered places which I have not visited for over 30 years: places that I went to when I was first exploring the Island but have rarely or not been to since. 

Rather coincidentally Viv had links via acquaintanceship and art to Willie Fulton, a well-known Harris artist and campaigner.  I like his art but have not always sen eye to eye with his views.  Viv decided to call upon him and his wife, Moira.  I tagged along.  Interestingly Willie and I managed to see eye to eye on things upon which I had judged him ill.

The weather, which was wonderfully warm and sunny for a couple of weeks before Viv came, has been rather cold and very showery except for the day we went to Harris when the sun had the majority vote and the rain was banished to the sidelines.  This does not, however, seem to have dimmed Viv's enthusiasm.

So today I am thankful for personal indifference laid to rest and for a re-awakening of my vision of the Island upon which I have lived for coming up to 40 years and which I love so much.

3 comments:

  1. two lovely posts Graham. I really enjoyed reading them - always good to have long-held opinions 'found out' and to be taken by surprise by life and experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had an enjoyable week. It's good when you're able to "re-discover" things. And friends! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogger says they're still working on restoring lost comments as well as posts. I know I did comment on this one (with previous one also in mind)... I think what I said was I'm glad it seems you've been having a good time, and that it's a good thing when we're able to rediscover familiar things - and old friends.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.