1 EAGLETON NOTES: It's a Fact of Island Life

.

.

Thursday 5 May 2011

It's a Fact of Island Life

After discovering that half the business I wanted to visit this morning had changed premises in my absence and after having had coffee with Pat (at least The Woodlands Centre hasn't changed), I went into the Co-op Supermarket to get supplies and 75 minutes later I had managed to complete about 4 aisles and caught up with so many friends and acquaintances I was beginning to wonder how many more there were left to meet.  I suppose when one has lived in a relatively small place (population 20,000 not all of whom shop in the Co-op!) for over 36 years (more than half of one's life) and worked in the public service then I suppose it's not that surprising.  It's one of the more endearing things about Island life

8 comments:

  1. I somtimes think I might as well live on another planet judging by how rarely I run into people I know. (Besides living in a town with a population of 100.000 it might have something to do with me being in early retirement while most of my friends are not!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our city is smaller than yours DawnTreader, but I have to make dates with my friends to see them. Now former students and former students' parents, that's another thing. Running into them often. But being retired and most of my friends are not...you get the picture.
    GB, taking 75 minutes to get thru the supermarket, that's a LOT of friends. Good for you!
    Island life is a calm way to live. ~sigh~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Graham, educate these poor folk the CO-OP in Stornaway is far removed from a Tesco Super Store. Unless it's changed! It has bread, eggs, bacon and dry goods.
    Like a frontier store.
    Last time I was there we waited a day for Fedex cos they couldn't get the cargo door open on the aircraft. Brilliant place you live.
    Ps you have The Worlds Biggest Sin enabled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Monica, I'm finding that I meet more people now that we are all getting to retirement age and shop when the workers are, well, working!

    Norma, it took much longer than 74 minutes. That was just the first four aisles!

    Adrian: I've stopped sinning. Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways. I shall have to show you how much Stornoway has changed since you were here. The Co-op is the largest in Scotland. Tesco has a foothold here (they bought the Somerfield Store which had bought Safeway which had begat - sorry, bought - Presto which had bought Templetons which... You get the idea. It's a pitiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ten years since I docked there. How times change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only 10 years. I thought you were talking of the Stornoway of at least 20 years ago! Or did you just go into the 'little' Co-op in the town centre?

    ReplyDelete
  7. As you know I don't enjoy supermarkets and always try to get in and out as quickly as possible. So I take a deep breath and hope I won't run into someone I know. Anti-social, huh?

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.