1 EAGLETON NOTES: Everything is Relative

.

.

Tuesday 22 June 2010

Everything is Relative

DSC00541 For a person who lives alone I have emptied the dishwasher many times since I returned to the UK.  Far more than usual.  In fact when I’m on my own I don’t use it very often at all.  So how can I make a posting out of that?  Well I was half way through emptying it this morning and thinking what a chore it was (and conveniently forgetting that after my guests had gone last night I had no washing and drying of dishes to do ‘cos it all went into the machine) when I thought to myself how much life has changed from my childhood when there were dishes to wash and dry and how much I have for which to be thankful.  And what a sorry state we are in when we consider emptying a dishwasher a chore.  So I played the Glad Game.  I have dishes to wash because I have food to put on those dishes.  I have glasses to wash because I have wine to put in those glasses.  And I have a lot of washing up to do because I have a lot of friends with whom to share that food and wine.  So I told myself this morning not to moan about emptying a dishwasher but to give thanks for the fact that I had that opportunity.

4 comments:

  1. Food, wine, and friends. You are a rich man, indeed.

    I have to remind myself often as well, what am I whining about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The angle looks as though you were hanging from the ceiling :)

    Yes, indeed, you are blessed, my friend. I can't imagine myself as social as you are, but still, my house remains full of people that I love on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're good at the Glad Game! :)
    I was actually having similar thoughts earlier today, although not about the dishwasher (which I don't have one). But I was doing laundry... Actually I don't have a washing machine of my own either. But there is a common laundry room in the building, and usually it works well. Minor irritations do occur from time to time, though (like people not always cleaning up after themselves) and call for Glad Games like reminding myself of the years back in the late 70s and early 80s when I lived in a flat without a washing machine in the house at all...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Heather you guessed! I was doing my fly impersonation.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.